Nick Kyrgios has apologised after testing positive for cocaine and admitted he made a “huge mistake” as the Australian prepares to step away from public life.
The former Wimbledon finalist revealed the failed drugs test in a statement on Instagram, saying he takes “full responsibility” for his actions.
Kyrgios tested positive following a test in Mallorca and has subsequently been provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA).
The suspension, which took effect on August 4, prevents the 31-year-old from playing, coaching or attending sanctioned professional tennis events.
Kyrgios has the right to appeal but has not done so at this stage.
“I wanted you to hear this from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” Kyrgios said.
“I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it.
“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me.
Nick Kyrgios has apologised after testing positive for cocaine and admitted he made a “huge mistake” as the Australian prepares to step away from public life
|
PA
“Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”
Kyrgios went on to discuss the difficulties he has experienced during an injury-plagued period of his career, while stressing they did not excuse his actions.
The Australian has struggled to play consistently in recent years and has admitted confronting the possibility of retirement has taken a significant toll.
“I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been,” he continued.
Nick Kyrgios has been plagued by injury issues in recent years
|
PA“The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally.
“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.
“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me.
“But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone.
“None of that excuses what I did.”
Kyrgios said the failed test had provided a “wake up call” and announced he would withdraw from social media and public appearances for 28 days.
“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better,” he concluded.
His latest setback comes after another year in which competitive appearances have been limited.
Nick Kyrgios previously made the final of Wimbledon in 2022
|
PAKyrgios has not played a singles match since suffering a straight-sets defeat against Adam Walton in Mallorca in June.
That was one of only four singles matches he has contested this year.
Having reached a career-high world ranking of No 13 in 2016, the Australian has fallen to No 919 following lengthy spells away from the tour.
Kyrgios has still made occasional doubles appearances, including at Wimbledon and the Australian Open, while he also faced Aryna Sabalenka in a modified-court “Battle of the Sexes” exhibition late last year.
