Crime
Surveillance video shows Kaylie Santos apparently spitting into a french fry carton and shoving fries into her mouth before filling the container, police say.
Rogelio V. Solis / AP, File
A former Southbridge McDonald’s employee seen in a viral video stuffing french fries into her mouth before placing them in a container allegedly proceeded to serve them to her ex-girlfriend, according to newly available court records.
Kaylie Santos, 22, has been charged with distributing food with a harmful substance after the brief video — which was apparently posted on a private Snapchat story — made national headlines last week. It was not immediately clear whether Santos had an attorney to speak on her behalf.
-
Mass. McDonald’s employee to face criminal charges after viral video shows alleged food contamination
-
Police investigating viral video of apparent food contamination at McDonald’s in Mass.
McDonald’s surveillance video from April 9 showed Santos, a night manager, apparently spitting into a fry carton and shoving fries into her mouth before filling the container and handing it off to a drive-thru customer, according to a Southbridge police report filed in court.
Officers tracked the driver down using their license plate and learned that she and Santos had dated for about two years before breaking up in late 2024, according to the report. The woman allegedly told police Santos had been harassing her and her new partner, and that she had only ordered sodas on April 9 but was handed fries as well.
According to the report, the woman only saw the Snapchat video of Santos after she had already accepted the fries and eaten them.
As a manager, Santos “was held to a higher standard as she was expected to lead the shift operations by ensuring high quality food, friendly service and overall cleanliness of not only of the restaurant but of the food being served as well,” Southbridge police wrote in the report. “In this case, Santos failed to adhere to the safe handling and cleanliness of the food provided to all customers including [the alleged victim].”
Police further described the incident as targeted, adding, “At this point, it does not appear any other customers were affected with Santos’ actions.”
The Spadea and Balducci families, who operate the Southbridge franchise, previously told Boston.com the individuals involved in the incident have parted ways with McDonald’s following an internal investigation. According to the court documents, the owners also filed a no-trespass order against Santos.
Santos is scheduled for arraignment June 5, online court records show.
Abby Patkin is a general assignment news reporter whose work touches on public transit, crime, health, and everything in between.
Sign up for the Today newsletter
Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.




