State of Origin is heading to New Zealand in 2027.
The Australian Rugby League Commission has announced that game two of next year’s series between Queensland and New South Wales will be played in Auckland.
NRL executive chairman Peter V’landys confirmed the international move on Tuesday morning after the idea was first floated by the league’s former chief executive Andrew Abdo in February.
Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Arrow
“State of Origin is truly unique. It creates an atmosphere unlike anything else in Australian sport,” V’landys said.
“Fierce rivalry, raw passion and an intensity that can only be understood by experiencing it firsthand. It’s a bucket list event.
“It’s not just the Origin match fans can look forward to – we are planning a week of rugby league festivities in the lead up to the event starting with a Warriors game at Eden Park on the Sunday afternoon prior to the Origin fixture.
“It’s going to be a complete takeover of Auckland showcasing the best of our game to New Zealanders and fans travelling from all over the world.”
The game is set to be played at New Zealand’s premier sports stadium, Eden Park, which has a capacity of 50,000 people and also hosts cricket, rugby and football.
State of Origin has once previously been held outside of Australia in 1987 when it was taken to California in the USA.
Eden Park will host a State of Origin game next year. Credit: Getty
Around Australia, the historic rivalry has gone to Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Townsville and Gold Coast, as well as the two home cities of Sydney and Brisbane.
Both states head into the 2027 series without a coach after Laurie Daley and Billy Slater both stepped down in recent weeks.
Daley had long been expected to depart this year but Slater’s future came under the microscope late in this year’s series.
The former Maroons fullback surprised many when he declared he would not sign a new contract and, if he wanted to continue, would only proceed on a handshake basis.
But he later decided to end his tenure after three wins from five series, announcing the departure on Friday.
“From being a boy who idolised this team, to a player, to guiding a group that has inspired our State, this has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve done in my life,” Slater said in a statement.
“I want to thank the players, this group gave everything for the jersey, for each other and our state, and I’m proud of what we’ve built together.
“To the staff, and to the QRL for the opportunity to lead this team, thank you.
“And to my fellow Queenslanders, thank you for the trust you put in me to be our coach.
“Being a Queenslander has always been a huge part of who I am, and that will never change.”
While NSWRL were quick to promote right-hand man Matt King to replace Daley, their Queensland counterparts will not rush to find Slater’s replacement.
Broncos assistant Matt Ballin and Ben Te’o, who joined the Maroons staff after leaving his Brisbane club role in March, could both come under consideration.
Much-loved NRL hero fights back tears over club gesture
2 min read
Cameron Munster addresses future amid links to PNG Chiefs
2 min read




