Red Sox’ Trevor Story undergoes sports hernia surgery

Red Sox’ Trevor Story undergoes sports hernia surgery

Boston Red Sox

Story said last week his recovery time could be between 6-10 weeks.

Trevor Story was placed on the injured list last weekend and weighed his treatment options. He chose to go under the knife. Danielle Parhizkaran/Globe Staff

By Kaley Brown

May 22, 2026 | 5:13 PM

2 minutes to read

Boston Red Sox starting shortstop Trevor Story will likely miss significant time after undergoing successful hernia surgery Thursday.

The team announced that Story, 33, underwent the procedure before Friday’s series opener against the Minnesota Twins at home.

He was placed on the 10-day injured list last weekend and contemplated going under the knife. Story and the Red Sox received multiple doctors’ opinions on his sports hernia before ultimately opting to undergo surgery.

Boston did not provide a recovery timetable upon announcing the procedure news. Story told reporters last week that he would likely miss 6-10 weeks if he followed through with surgery.

Story’s Red Sox tenure since signing ahead of the 2022 season has been derailed by injuries and major procedures. His hernia surgery marks his third trip to the surgeon’s room as a member of the organization.

He underwent surgery on his left shoulder in 2024 after dislocating it while diving for a ground ball, which kept him out for the majority of the year. He also had internal brace surgery on his right elbow in 2023, which kept him sidelined until August.

Story dealt with a broken right wrist in 2022, but did not receive surgery.

Ailments have largely impacted his career in Boston, but so has his inconsistency at the plate when he has been healthy enough to play. 2026 has been no different.

Through 165 at-bats, Story is slashing a rough .206/.244/.303 with a .547 OPS. Those numbers are among the lowest in all of MLB. He’s collected 19 RBI and three home runs while scoring 16 times. He’s drawn just eight walks and struck out 57 times (32.4 strikeout rate, which is bottom-10 in MLB).

Story noted his hernia, which arose in spring training, has impacted his performance on the field this season.

“A couple of weeks in, just felt it,” Story said last weekend (via MassLive). “Tried to grind through it and just got to the point where I might need to take a timeout and evaluate some things a little further. Obviously, I haven’t been able to really move like myself out there, so it kind of built up on me.

“After a few hard days in a row, it popped up and I just couldn’t kick it after that. It’s been a battle for the first month, a month and a half. I hang my hat on being able to play and being available, and obviously, now it’s probably a good time to re-evaluate that.”

In Story’s absence, Isaiah Kiner-Falefa and Andruw Monasterio have primarily filled in at shortstop. Nick Sogard will field the position Friday.

Natural SS Marcelo Mayer, who has played second base all season after competing with Caleb Durbin for third base in spring training, will likely start at SS for the first time in the majors Sunday, according to interim manager Chad Tracy (via The Boston Globe’s Tim Healey).

Tracy said last week the team had begun discussing moving Mayer to shortstop in the wake of Story’s injury.

Kaley Brown

Sports producer

Kaley Brown is a sports producer for Boston.com, where she covers the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox.

Get the latest Boston sports news

Receive updates on your favorite Boston teams, straight from our newsroom to your inbox.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *