Boston Red Sox
“I don’t want to think about the past, I don’t want to talk about the past. … But at the same time, you make mistakes and we have to move on and mature.”
Former Boston Red Sox third baseman Rafael Devers is back in Boston this weekend for the first time since being traded last June, but he isn’t focusing much on the location.
Devers, whose career in Boston came to a screeching halt well before the 2025 trade deadline on June 15, ended with plenty of drama. He initially refused to move off third base to make room for Alex Bregman, hesitated to become the Red Sox’ designated hitter (but ultimately succumbed), and rejected another move to first base when Triston Casas went down with a season-ending knee injury.
Despite a tumultuous ending, Devers told reporters on Friday he isn’t interested in reminiscing about his past in Boston.
“I don’t want to think about the past, I don’t want to talk about the past,” Devers said through a translator when asked if he feels any sadness about the way his time with the Red Sox ended. “But at the same time, we’re men. We’re all grownups. We have to understand this is the business of baseball. But at the same time, you make mistakes and we have to move on and mature.”
Later, Devers added he didn’t circle this weekend’s series on his calendar before the season. He again referenced his personal growth over the last 14 months with his new team.
“No. … I move on, I turn the page,” he said. “I knew that this day was going to come, but I’m mature now. It’s just move on and enjoy the moment.”
Although, he did say he saw a flood of memories come back to him upon returning to the city.
“A lot of memories came back,” Devers said. “This is my first organization that I’d been to, and I’ve only been to San Francisco. So obviously being here first, there are so many memories – good ones and bad ones.”
Devers, much like the struggling Giants (52-75, 4th place in the National League West), hasn’t had consistent success at the plate in 2026. He’s batting .244 with a .790 OPS, both of which are on pace to be his worst marks since 2018. However, he’s still registered 25 home runs and 69 RBI.
Regardless of his own struggles, Devers said he feels good about himself as a ballplayer.
“I feel really good,’ he said. “I think I have matured there in that year. I think that I have learned as an athlete. There’s things that are going to happen, and what you have to do is move forward and learn from that.”
After appearing at first base in 28 games for San Francisco last year, Devers’s playing time at the position has ramped up in 2026. He’s started 89 games at 1B and has committed seven errors across 776 innings.
On Friday, Devers won’t play in the field. Rather, he’s penciled in as the Giants’ DH and batting second in his first start at Fenway as an opponent.
He was asked if he has enjoyed playing first, and replied that he’s at ease defensively.
“Every single day that I play first base I feel very comfortable,” Devers said. “I want to thank [Ron] Washington for working with me. I had a lot of support here, so I feel very comfortable.”
Devers said he was looking forward to seeing his old teammates, most notably Wilyer Abreu and Ceddanne Rafaela.
“Very happy with all of them. As you know, I’m friends with everything. Rafaela, Abreu. Very happy that they’re doing really good now,” he said.
In all, Devers didn’t have anything negative to say about his time with the Red Sox. He said he was “very happy to be back” and mentioned his love for Boston fans several times.
“Simply want to say, thank you very much for all the support they gave me for my years here,” Devers said when asked if he had a message for Red Sox fans. “They will be always special in my heart.”
Get the latest Boston sports news
Receive updates on your favorite Boston teams, straight from our newsroom to your inbox.
