Paul George shares his initial thoughts on joining Celtics

Paul George shares his initial thoughts on joining Celtics

Boston Celtics

“I’m gonna give y’all everything.”

Paul George was traded to the Celtics as part of the Jaylen Brown deal. Elsa/Getty Images

By Conor Ryan

August 17, 2026 | 7:03 PM

2 minutes to read

Most of the discourse surrounding the Celtics this offseason has revolved around the team’s decision to trade star Jaylen Brown in a blockbuster deal to the Philadelphia 76ers. 

There hasn’t been as much focus put on the return that Boston secured from the Sixers — headlined by veteran wing Paul George.

At this stage of his career, George is not a fitting foil to Brown — with the 36-year-old former All-Star coming off a 2025-26 season in Philly where he averaged 17.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game.

George appeared in only 37 games, with nagging ailments and a 25-game suspension for violating the league’s anti-drug program as the primary causes of his limited availability. 

But, even if he’s not a complete replacement for what Brown offered in terms of outright scoring production, defensive fortitude, and shouldering a heavy workload, George is still expected to be a regular contributor on a reworked Boston roster.

George released his first comments about joining the Celtics as part of a “Beneath The Banners” video released by the team on Sunday.

As part of the video feature, George and his family met up with Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens at the team’s Auerbach Center facility, later catching up with Boston star forward Jayson Tatum. 

“I’m gonna give y’all everything,” George said in the video as part of a message to Celtics fans. “It’s surreal. I’m ecstatic. I’m looking forward to the journey. I’m looking forward to wearing that green and representing for Boston.”

Paul George on joining the Celtics when he first visited the facility:

“I’m gonna give y’all everything.”

“It’s surreal. I’m ecstatic. I’m looking forward to the journey. I’m looking forward to wearing that green and representing for Boston.”

(Via @celtics on YouTube) pic.twitter.com/7sLT0fG7jh

— Daniel Donabedian (@danield1214) August 16, 2026

The Celtics should welcome George’s defensive versatility and 3-point shooting, both of which were put on display during the Sixers’ shocking first-round playoff victory against Boston earlier this year.

The primary question mark surrounding George at this stage of his career is rooted in his health and availability. Over the last five seasons split between the Clippers and Sixers, George has only appeared in 239 out of a possible 410 games. 

Even with those concerns — and the added pressure put upon George given who he was traded for — Stevens offered up a strong endorsement of the new Celtics wing as part of that same “Beneath The Banners” video. 

“Paul’s a really good player,” Stevens said. “He’s been a really good player for a long time. He’s one of the more impactful players with regard to winning, even as he’s aged in the NBA.

“We just think he’s a good fit for how we play, and I think the other part about Paul is he’s very smart. He has a good feel for the game, he’s got a good savvy to him about the game, and I think that fits in with the rest of our lineup.”

 

Conor Ryan is a staff writer covering the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox for Boston.com, a role he has held since 2023.

Sign up for the Today newsletter

Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *