King Charles says he is “deeply concerned” by the arrest of his younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” King Charles said in a statement made just hours after at least six unmarked police cars drove into Wood Farm on the disgraced former prince’s 66th birthday and arrested him.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
Sign up to The Nightly’s newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
In a statement Thames Valley Police said officers were carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
“As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” the statement read.
“The man remains in police custody at this time.”
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Pictures circulated online on Thursday appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plain-clothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.
There was no immediate comment from Buckingham Palace.
Earlier in February, Thames Valley Police said they were looking at allegations that Andrew had passed confidential government documents to the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, according to recently released files.
Andrew has denied any wrongdoing and said he regrets his friendship with Epstein, but he has not responded to specific requests for comment after the latest files were published by the US government
Mountbatten-Windsor had been reported to police by the anti-monarchy campaign group Republic following the release of more than three million pages of documents relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.
Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had in 2010 forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he had visited on official trips.