4 Rhode Island firefighters reinstated after investigation into drug allegations

4 Rhode Island firefighters reinstated after investigation into drug allegations

Local News

The city of Pawtucket began investigating ten firefighters after “a documented unlawful purchase of a controlled substance.”

Four Pawtucket firefighters have been reinstated after an investigation last year into criminal activity. John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe

Four Rhode Island firefighters have been reinstated after they and several others faced an internal investigation into alleged criminal activity.

In April 2025, city officials in Pawtucket announced that they were investigating eight firefighters for “possible criminal activity resulting in violations of the public trust.” Two more firefighters were terminated the following month due to the investigation, WPRI reported.

The allegations at the center of this investigation included “the use, purchase, or sale of marijuana, both on and off duty,” according to Pawtucket Police Chief and Acting Public Safety Director Tina Goncalves. Some of these accusations stemmed from a separate investigation into misconduct within the Pawtucket Fire Department.

Pawtucket police and the Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office launched their investigation when they became aware of “a documented unlawful purchase of a controlled substance,” later revealed to be marijuana. Possession and cultivation of the plant are legal in Rhode Island, but there are restrictions on quantities and where it can be purchased.

As part of a collective bargaining agreement, the firefighters were able to contest their firings through a series of hearings. In all, six of them were terminated, three retired, and one resigned, Goncalves said.

Attorneys for the city later advised investigators to pursue settlement agreements that would result in some of the firefighters being reinstated. They cited “the uncertainty of the arbitration process and the significant cost of prolonged litigation,” according to Goncalves.

Steven Gomes, Thomas Trabulsi, and Noah LeBlanc were all terminated, but reached union-negotiated agreements to be reinstated. Gomes returned to the department Jan. 1, Trabulsi returned March 15, and LeBlanc is expected to return Oct. 16.

Under the settlement conditions, these firefighters will face drug testing requirements and probationary periods to ensure they “comply with the rules and regulations of the Pawtucket Fire Department and uphold their responsibility to protect and serve the residents of Pawtucket,” Goncalves said.

“The City remains committed to upholding the high standards of conduct expected by residents and by the dedicated firefighters and first responders who serve the community every day,” Goncalves said.

Lareto Guglietta, Jonathon Sunquist, and Clinton Lyles were also fired but chose to challenge the decisions through arbitration. Lyles returned to the department May 5 after a ruling in his favor, while Sunquist and Guglietta are still awaiting hearings.

The city expressed disagreement with the ruling but said it “respects the arbitration process.” Guglietta and Sunquist remain terminated unless they also receive rulings in their favor.

Terrence O’Neill, the firefighter who resigned, has since been criminally indicted. He was arraigned in December 2025 on three counts of delivery of a controlled substance, according to court records.

O’Neill, 33, pleaded not guilty in Providence/Bristol County Superior Court and was released on $5,000 personal recognizance. Further court action has not yet been taken, records show.

James Allen, William Almon, and James Pike are the three firefighters who retired. Pike has since died, according to Goncalves.

The Pawtucket Fire Department did not respond to a request for comment.

Sign up for the Today newsletter

Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *