PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Jurors have reached a verdict in the trial of two men accused of killing Philadelphia Police Sergeant Richard Mendez.
Yobranny Martinez-Fernandez, 20, and Hendrick Pena-Fernandez, 23, were both found guilty in the murder of Sgt. Mendez. He was fatally shot in the parking garage of Philadelphia International Airport in October 2023.
Martinez-Fernandez was found guilty of first, second and third degree murder, as well as conspiracy to commit robbery and auto theft, among many other charges.
The 12-person jury found Pena-Fernandez guilty of second-degree murder, conspiracy to commit theft and auto theft, among other charges.
Both men were sentenced to life in prison.
Mendez’s family says they finally have justice.
“I kept hearing my husband say, ‘We got this’ in my head. We got this. There’s no way justice wasn’t gonna be served,” said Mendez’s wife, Alexandra Carrero.
A third man, 23-year-old Alexander Batista-Polanco, pleaded guilty days before the trial began last week and testified as the prosecution’s star witness.
Police said the group fatally shot 50-year-old Mendez when he and his partner tried to stop a car break-in at the airport. Mendez’s partner was injured.
Authorities also said a fourth man, Jesus Herman Madera Duran, was part of the group and died after being struck by gunfire.
“My husband was an amazing human being, and he did not deserve to be shot in the back three times,” Carrero said.
The trial began Nov. 12, and jurors deliberated for days before reaching a verdict.
Assistant District Attorney Cydney Pope said the case demonstrated how quickly a property crime can turn deadly.
“This is the kind of case where easily it could’ve been, you know, you put your hands up and you go, ‘You got me.’ And this is a car theft case,” Pope said.
Mendez’s daughter, Mia, attended the trial wearing her father’s name badge over her heart and his police badge around her neck.
“This is the badge he was wearing that night,” she said. “So that’s just another reminder of what happened, how it’s affecting me, and how I’ll grow from it for sure, but how much I miss my dad.”
During the trial, defense attorneys argued prosecutors failed to prove the group was at the scene, citing the lack of surveillance video. Prosecutors countered with cell phone data and DNA evidence, which jurors ultimately accepted.
“Of course, we’re disappointed with the verdict; however, there are substantial issues, which will be raised eventually on appeal,” a defense attorney said.
“I really appreciate how long and hard the jury had to work, how careful they were. Every lawyer gets nervous when a deliberation is lengthy, but that’s how it should be,” said District Attorney Larry Krasner.
Family members of the defendants did not speak after the verdicts but were visibly emotional as they were read.
Copyright © 2025 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.