Jaylen Brown calls out Beverly Hills for shutting down All-Star event

Jaylen Brown calls out Beverly Hills for shutting down All-Star event

Boston Celtics

“They didn’t try to have a conversation and they shut everything down. So the statement they put out there was completely false.”

Jaylen Brown was named an All-Star starter for the first time in his career. Barry Chin/The Boston Globe

By Conor Ryan

February 16, 2026 | 4:51 PM

3 minutes to read

Celtics star wing Jaylen Brown didn’t get to fully enjoy his first All-Star Weekend as a starter. 

“It leaves a bad taste in my mouth here for All-Star Weekend,” Brown said Sunday after All-Star festivities wrapped in Los Angeles. “It’s super distracting for you guys to even have to ask me questions about this. We should be here talking about basketball. Yesterday wasn’t great.”

On Saturday, Brown was hosting a panel discussion, All-Star watch party, and networking event for his “741” brand when it was shut down by the Beverly Hills (Calif.) Police Department because an officer said Brown’s event lacked a permit.

Brown took to social media to post video of his interaction with the officers who arrived on scene at the event, which was held at the mansion owned by Oakley founder James Jannard. 

For a little more context, the police came to shut down Jaylen Brown’s panel in Beverly Hills around 7 PM, claiming he didn’t file the proper permit.

“I know I play for the Celtics, and I know we’re in LA. But hey, I didn’t think y’all would do me like this.”

🎥 @FCHWPO https://t.co/FgcympP1Iy pic.twitter.com/ShY3rrk7H2

— Daniel Donabedian (@danield1214) February 15, 2026

The City of Beverly Hills released a statement to Gary Washburn and The Boston Globe, claiming the city rejected a permit application for Brown’s event.

“On Saturday, February 14, the Beverly Hills Police Department (BHPD) responded to an event taking place at a private residence in the Trousdale neighborhood of the City. An event permit had been applied for and denied by the City due to previous violations associated with events at the address.

“Despite the fact that the permit was denied, organizers still chose to proceed with inviting hundreds of guests knowing that it was not allowed to occur. BHPD responded and shut down the unpermitted event.”

Brown — who scored 15 points for “Team Stripes” during Sunday’s All-Star events — took umbrage with the City’s statement, arguing that they did not need a permit because he was given permission by Jannard to use his mansion for the event. 

“That was not true. That was not true,” Brown said of the city’s statement. “We didn’t need a permit because the owner of the house, that was his space. We were family friends. He opened up his festivities to us. We never applied for [a permit] and I think they told the media what we applied and it was denied. There was no permit ever applied for. … Jim Jannard, he’s the creator of Oakley. I am a brand partner of Oakley. They opened up their house to me.”

Brown said “hundreds of thousands of dollars were wasted” as a result of the cancellation. 

“He allowed us to do an activity in his space, we had a pop-up talking about culture, talking about the future of independency, creative control,” Brown said of Jannard. “A bunch of different people that was there to talk about positivity and community and it seemed like somebody didn’t want that to happen.”

Brown added that he was “offended” by the wording of the statement.

“Like we applied for something and didn’t get it and we did it anyway,” Brown said. “Like we were insubordinate. I know how to follow the rules. I’m smart enough to follow the guidelines. It just seems like somebody didn’t want whatever we had going on to go on because out of everybody that was doing something [in Beverly Hills], it seemed like I was the only one to get shut down.”

As Brown acknowledged, there were multiple other pop-up events, private parties, and other functions held throughout Los Angeles during the NBA’s All-Star Weekend festivities. 

Brown was asked by reporters if he believed that the shutdown of his event was racially motivated. 

“All I am going to say is everybody else that did something, an activation, there seemed to be no issues,” Brown said. “It was 7 p.m. It wasn’t 10 p.m. It wasn’t 11 p.m. It wasn’t 12 p.m. 7 p.m. in the day and we’re doing a panel that’s positive. There was nobody that was inconvenienced. It wasn’t blocking traffic.  

“It’s All-Star Weekend. It’s Saturday night and it’s 7 p.m. and what are we talking about? And the city had an ordinance to shut us down. No matter what the owner of the house said. No matter what we tried to reason with them. There was no working with them. They didn’t try to work with us. They didn’t try to have a conversation and they shut everything down. So the statement they put out there was completely false. I stand by that.”

 

Conor Ryan is a staff writer covering the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox for Boston.com, a role he has held since 2023.

Sign up for the Today newsletter

Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *