C-section negligence in Maharashtra Beed: 19-year-old critical after gloves, napkins found

C-section negligence in Maharashtra Beed: 19-year-old critical after gloves, napkins found

A 19-year-old woman is fighting for her life after her family alleged that surgical gloves and paper napkins were left inside her abdomen following a C-section at Beed district hospital in Maharashtra.

Sandhya Suraj Gaikwad was admitted to the district hospital on August 1 for delivery and underwent a Caesarean section. She was discharged four days later, but within days of returning home, she developed severe and unbearable abdominal pain.

As her condition worsened, her family took her to a private hospital, where doctors reportedly detected the presence of an ‘unknown object’ inside her abdomen. Given her critical condition, Sandhya was subsequently taken to Pune for further treatment.

According to her family, doctors at Pune’s Sassoon Hospital performed another surgery and removed surgical gloves and paper napkins from her abdomen.

Sandhya remains in a critical condition and is undergoing treatment at Sassoon Hospital.

FAMILY ALLEGES MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE

Sandhya’s husband, Suraj Gaikwad, alleged that his wife’s condition was caused by negligence during the first surgery and demanded strict action against those responsible.

“My wife’s painful condition has happened only because of the doctors’ negligence. Strictest action should be taken against the doctors responsible,” Suraj said.

Sandhya’s mother also described the sequence of events following the C-section. She said her daughter had been vomiting after the surgery and that she had informed a nurse at the Beed civil hospital.

According to her, hospital staff indicated that Sandhya had been discharged, but she refused to take her daughter home immediately. She later took Sandhya home, but her condition deteriorated further.

The family then took her to a private hospital, where they were told that treatment could involve significant expenses. They subsequently travelled to Pune. The family said another hospital did not admit Sandhya because of the seriousness of her condition, after which she was taken to Sassoon Hospital.

Her mother said doctors there performed surgery and removed “hand gloves and paper” from her abdomen.

Sandhya’s mother said her daughter remains in a serious condition and is continuing treatment at Sassoon Hospital.

PROBE ORDERED, NOTICES ISSUED

The allegations have triggered action from the district administration, which has taken cognisance of the case.

A show-cause notice has been issued to the woman doctor concerned and other health workers in connection with the incident. An investigation is underway to determine how the alleged surgical material came to be found inside the patient.

Beed District Surgeon Dr Satishkumar Solanke said the matter was being investigated and that strict legal and administrative action would follow if anyone was found responsible.

The case has raised serious questions over the circumstances surrounding Sandhya’s C-section and the treatment she received before her discharge from the Beed district hospital.

– Ends

With inputs from Rohidas Lahudas Hatagale

Published By:

Sonali Verma

Published On:

Aug 19, 2026 16:06 IST

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *