Manchester City’s Rodri set for move away from club as Enzo Maresca loses another key star

Manchester City’s Rodri set for move away from club as Enzo Maresca loses another key star

Manchester City’s Rodri is set to move away after Barcelona agreed to a deal to sign the Spanish captain for around £65million.

The 30-year-old will reportedly sign a four-year deal with the Spanish champions, with the move expected to be finalised this week.


Rodri won 12 major honours during his tenure at the Etihad Stadium, making 298 appearances after joining them from Atletico Madrid for a then-club record £62.8million.

New City boss Enzo Maresca admitted his side will miss the Spaniard after City’s 3-0 defeat to Arsenal in the Community Shield.

The Italian said: “Rodri is a player who just won the World Cup and Ballon d’Or.

“He’s a top player, all the teams need a Rodri, so it’s not about if we miss Rodri or not.”

The Spaniard joins an exodus of players from the Etihad so far this summer, with several brilliant servants to the club departing.

Nathan Ake, Bernardo Silva and John Stones are the three most notable names, as well as Manuel Akanji, who completed a permanent move following a loan spell with Inter Milan.

Manchester City’s Rodri is set to move away

| GETTY

Tijjani Reijnders looks set to move on, while back-up goalkeeper James Trafford has joined Leeds United.

City have only made one marquee signing so far with the £116million move for England international Elliot Anderson, who featured yesterday in the Community Shield.

Should Rodri go, Maresca and City will have to move quickly to fill the hole the 30-year-old leaves.

They have already been linked and are in advanced talks with 18-year-old Ayyoub Bouaddi, who is understood to be keen on the move.

Rodri lifted the World Cup with Spain

Rodri lifted the World Cup with Spain

| GETTY

The teenager had a breakthrough World Cup with Morocco and has played a starring role with Lille in France.

It is estimated the 18-year-old will cost around £85million, cheaper than the £120million price tag on heavily rumoured Enzo Fernandez.

Chelsea set a 5pm Friday cutoff for a bid to be submitted, which came and went without City tabling the Blues’ asking price for the Argentine.

Sources previously told GB News the midfielder’s agents were in Manchester last week and in talks about a deal.

New City boss Enzo Maresca admitted his side will miss the Spaniard

New City boss Enzo Maresca admitted his side will miss the Spaniard

| REUTERS

Chelsea are reportedly not willing to sell Fernandez this window or in January, but that may not stop City from tabling a bid.

Relations between the two clubs are very frosty following Maresca’s appointment, after the Italian left the Blues in early January and replaced Pep Guardiola this summer.

City kick off their Premier League campaign on Sunday against Bournemouth at the Etihad Stadium.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *