Celtics’ pursuit of Giannis to continue ‘this offseason’

Celtics’ pursuit of Giannis to continue ‘this offseason’

Boston Celtics

“The Celtics did check, and they did make a call.”

Giannis Antetokounmpo has been linked to the Celtics over the last few weeks. Jim Davis / Globe Staff

As Brad Stevens and the Celtics’ top brass continue to weigh their options ahead of a potential roster reshuffle this offseason, Boston’s potential pursuit of Bucks superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon.

After years of underperformance, the Bucks are reportedly willing to take calls on the 31-year-old Antetokounmpo, who could be flipped for the assets, draft picks, and players to help spur Milwaukee toward a retool.

Even with the Celtics seemingly building their roster around both Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, Boston is leaving no stone unturned in hopes of maximizing its current ceiling in the next few years — with ESPN NBA insider Shams Charania reporting last week that Boston was among several playoff teams that tried to acquire Antetokounmpo in February before the NBA trade deadline.

Speaking on ESPN’s “The Pat McAfee Show” on Monday, Charania added that the Celtics’ interest in prying Antetokounmpo out of Milwaukee should only continue to grow this offseason now that the Bucks have shown a willingness to part ways with their franchise forward.

However, Charania added that several other teams, including the Timberwolves, Heat, Lakers, Cavaliers, and Knicks, also remain in the hunt for Antetokounmpo this summer.

“The Celtics did check, and they did make a call,” Charania said of Boston’s trade discussions for Antetokounmpo. “They did have a level of interest, and I think that is going to continue into this off-season, but they’ve never gotten into the particulars — because it takes two to tango.

“You’re not just going to offer up a player that it might take to get a deal done without there being interest from the other side. So, those are all things to be determined … Does Milwaukee feel like their best offer is going to come from a Minnesota, a Miami, or some other team? And that’s what we’re going to find out over the next few weeks.”​

Even though Antetokounmpo turns 32 in December and missed a majority of last season with several injuries, the two-time NBA MVP would still represent a significant upgrade in Boston’s frontcourt — even if it might cost Brown as part of a blockbuster swap.​

During this last full season in 2024-25 with the Bucks, Antetokounmpo averaged 30.4 points, 11.9 rebounds, and 6.5 assists per game.

Antetokounmpo’s unique profile as an athletic equalizer who can both protect the rim and throw down dunks down the other end of the court would seemingly fit into what Stevens is prioritizing this offseason in terms of more production in the paint.

​“We’ve got to figure out a way to do better in that,” Stevens said earlier this month Boston’s struggles with converting on baskets down low in the playoffs. “And I think that one of the things that we’ve got to figure out is how to have more of an impact at the rim. And I think we do need to add to our team to do that.”

 

Conor Ryan is a staff writer covering the Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox for Boston.com, a role he has held since 2023.

Sign up for the Today newsletter

Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *