No talks with Opposition on bar timing extension, says Kerala Leader of the Opposition

No talks with Opposition on bar timing extension, says Kerala Leader of the Opposition

UDF workers carry Leader of the Opposition V.D. Satheesan to the stage during a reception accorded to the Puthuyuga Yatra at Chelakkara in Thrissur district on Wednesday.
| Photo Credit: K.K. NAJEEB

Leader of the Opposition V.D. Satheesan on Wednesday hit back at Excise Minister M.B. Rajesh asserting that neither the State government nor the Minister had held any discussion with the Opposition regarding the decision to extend bar operating hours across the State.

Addressing the media during the Puthuyuga Yatra in Thrissur on Wednesday, he said the Opposition had no role whatsoever in the decision to unify or extend bar timings. While there had been earlier attempts from bar owners seeking uniform timings, he clarified that their approaches for support were made nearly a year ago and not in the context of the present decision. “It is for the government to consult the Opposition if it wants our opinion, not bar owners,” he said.

He maintained that the Opposition was kept completely in the dark about the move. “If even the Left Democratic Front (LDF) convener or leaders were unaware of the decision, how would the Opposition know about it?” he asked, adding that taking such a decision just ahead of elections, without placing it before the Cabinet or holding wider consultations, raises serious suspicions.

The Opposition Leader further said the Excise Minister had never discussed the matter with any Opposition leaders, either through a phone call or on the floor of the Assembly in recent times. He described the Minister’s remarks as an attempt to escape criticism after coming under the scanner and dismissed alleged warnings against further disclosures.

Referring to the Elappully brewery issue, he alleged that approvals were granted at “rocket speed,” only for the Kerala High Court to later stay the move. He claimed that a company reportedly blacklisted in Delhi had submitted an application in Kerala without the knowledge of even local brewery companies, and that the Opposition’s allegations of procedural lapses were subsequently validated by the court.

Blanket extension

Questioning the rationale behind the blanket extension of bar timings, he said a relaxation limited to tourism hubs with active nightlife could be understood, but the government had instead extended timings everywhere while simultaneously increasing the number of notified tourism destinations, which had already invited criticism.

Meanwhile, Mr. Rajesh defended the government’s decision, stating that extended bar timings were already in force in certain tourist destinations and were made uniform across the State to address complaints of discrimination.

Published – February 18, 2026 09:04 pm IST

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *