Concord man, 73, convicted of raping 20-year-old in restaurant bathroom

Concord man, 73, convicted of raping 20-year-old in restaurant bathroom

Crime

A Barnstable County court said prior to sentencing the man that his actions were motivated by “a shocking sense of entitlement.”

By Darin Zullo

May 24, 2026 | 9:56 AM

2 minutes to read

A Concord man was found guilty Friday of raping a woman in a Sandwich restaurant bathroom in 2023, according to prosecutors.

Elie Jammal, 73, was convicted on one count of rape and two counts of indecent assault and battery of a person over the age of 14, the Cape & Islands District Attorney’s Office said in a statement. He was sentenced to 13 ½ to 15 years in state prison for the rape conviction, followed by 5 years of probation for the assault conviction.

On July 9, 2023, the 20-year-old victim was dining at a restaurant in Sandwich and left her table to use the restroom. In the hallway, she encountered Jammal, whom she did not know, according to the DA’s office.

Jammal made a suggestive comment to the victim, pushed her up against the hallway wall, sexually assaulted her, and demanded that she give him her phone number. The victim escaped into the women’s restroom, but Jammal followed her inside and sexually assaulted her again, prosecutors said.

After Jammal left the restroom, the victim began calling for help, the DA’s office said. Since she now had been gone from her table for a while, a family friend went to check on her and found her hiding in one of the bathroom stalls.

The victim’s mother and another family friend confronted Jammal outside of the restaurant, and he claimed she had come on to him. They called the police, but Jammal had driven away by the time they arrived, according to prosecutors.

In November 2023, Jammal was indicted on the charges for which he was later convicted. The court noted before his sentencing that he was not at all intoxicated and that his actions were motivated purely by “a shocking sense of entitlement,” the DA’s office said.

“A 20 year old woman was having dinner with her family. She left the table to use the facilities and she was sexually attacked by a 70 year old man in the hallway. Her bravery to confront him in Court in front of a jury was exemplary,” Cape & Islands DA Robert Galibois said on Facebook. “Thank you to my team and police investigators for believing in her and delivering justice.”

Jammal’s attorney, Kevin Reddington, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday morning.

Sign up for the Today newsletter

Get everything you need to know to start your day, delivered right to your inbox every morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *